Wednesday, May 16, 2012

New Year Dragon Process

It has been brought to my attention that showing the process through which I created my little dragon guy would be a good idea. So I'll be putting up images in the post showing all the little steps and things that helped bring it to fruition.


The first image is of the toy that gave me the inspiration to draw the dragon character in the first place. I saw this thing while at wal-mart when they had chinese new year items for sale. I liked the idea of a funny little dragon character and am personally a fan of dragons, so figured it would be great motivation to make a cartoony character.


 These next 3 images are taken from my sketchbook where I worked out the look of the character. It took some time, several pages, but in the end what I got turned out pretty nice. There were a few that I enjoyed from previous sketches, but they didn't feel like dragons for some reason. The picture above was a good start, but I was making it too tall and lanky for my liking.


 This page is where it started taking shape more towards what I wanted. The way I started drawing the eyes made me think of a cat so I kind of worked that into the design a bit, mostly personality wise.


The last page has the final poses I went with for the character sheet, this is pretty much where I was happy with the design and ready to finish it up. Just scanned them and did clean up and colouring in photoshop and it was done.

No comments:

Post a Comment